Frank the Poet Drawings at Robert Burns Inn

The Melbourne Daily News 1 Mar 1851 p. 2.
It is with pain I have to mention an instance of teetotal bigotry and uncalled for magisterial interference. Verily, we live in strange times ! It would seem that the advancing intelligence of the age only serves to make men more in tolerant and fanatical.

Every year has its mania, and according to all accounts mesmeric and teetotal nonsense seem to be the prevailing mania of the year of grace 1851—but let me tell my story. Amongst the paintings and drawings which decorate the walls of one of the elegantly furnished parlours in the Robert Burns Inn, are several specimens of penmanship executed by a wandering genius called Frank, the poet.

The landlord of the inn had them neatly framed and hung up, and hundreds have admired their beauty. It would appear that one of those busy and important individuals who delight in meddling with other people's affairs has taken high offence at one of those specimens of penmanship, because it happened to be in part only a poetical advice to teetotalers.

I say, in part only, for within the same frame, are Lord Byron's inscription and elegy on a Newfoundland dog, and the Lord's Prayer within the compass of a threepenny piece.

I enclose you a copy of the verses, and I am sure they would not disgrace your poet's corner.

Notes

Although I have scored the pages of the short lived Melbourne Daily News I have seen no evidence of the poem that was apparently enclosed with this letter.